I’ve had an incredible week. Maxx’s sister was in town visiting, so I got to meet her 🙂
And, I’ve been shooting a NYU film. I’m happy…and a little sleepy.
But before I catch some shut eye, I’ve got to finally share my recipe for the World’s Healthiest Cookies.
They contain NO FLOUR, NO SUGAR, NO BUTTER. I kid you not; and once you have one, you’ll want the whole batch, and you’ll tell yourself that its alright to eat a whole batch of these, because they’re the World’s Healthiest Cookies!
Like many of the things I bake and cook, these cookies were inspired by a Heidi Swanson recipe.
Basically they’re made with ripe Banana, Oats, Flax Seed, Olive Oil and Maple Syrup; everything else is up to you!
Sometime’s I’ll throw in chocolate chips (thus undoing the “sugarless” claim), but that’s usually when I’m making them for others. I like to get creative with my Healthy Cookie Ingredients. Today I whipped up a batch for tomorrow’s breakfast. I’ve got to be on set in Brooklyn at 7am, so these little Health Cookies will be the perfect subway ride breakfast. They’re packed with energy essentials, Dates, Walnuts, Fresh Ginger, and Raisins, Cinnamon, and freshly ground Cardamom!
Next time I think I’ll make them with a little Carrot and Coconut, with Coconut Oil instead of Olive. Amen!
The cookie’s ingredients take about 10 minutes to lovingly combine, and another 15 minutes to bake. And they’re vegan, so I can share them with my vegan pals where I work.
When I make these cookies for friends, they always ask me for the recipe. So for all of my friends who’ve asked, here it is. And for all of you who I do not know, I hope you enjoy these.
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups of old fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp flax seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 3-4 chopped dates
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1½ tbsp fresh ginger (diced into teeny tiny bits)
- 4-5 crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl mash ripe bananas until liquified.
- Add olive oil and maple syrup and stir to blend.
- Add oats and flax seed, and cinnamon and cardamom, combine.
- Add dates, raisins, ginger and walnuts (or whatever combination you choose...maybe chocolate chips*) and combine.
- With a tablespoon, scoop out mixture, and form in your hand (it will be wet) then place on cookie sheet. The cookies will not change in size, so don't worry about putting them too close together.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. You'll certainly be able to smell them when they're almost ready.
- Try them warm, fresh out of the oven with a cup of tea or glass of almond milk, or even a cup of vegan yogurt.