Summer to me means watermelon season. A summer without the juicy red flesh of my favorite fruit would not be as sweet. Here are some very interesting facts you may not have known about watermelon!
- Watermelon is high in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in red fruits like tomatoes.
- It is a rich source of antioxidants vitamin A and vitamin C. All of the fruit’s antioxidants increase with ripeness.
- The rind is edible too! Pickled watermelon rind is a treat in the South : )
- Need a B vitamin energy boost? Eat watermelon!
- The fruit originated in Africa, and currently the largest producer is China.
- In Asian countries people snack on dried watermelon seeds.
- It’s helpful in treating and preventing hypertension.
- To choose a great watermelon, look for fruit that has a yellow or cream colored underbelly. This shows that it was vine ripened for optimal flavor and nutrition.
p.s. the above photo is from my recent photo shoot with friends in Long Beach, L.I. More photos, plus an amazingly refreshing, delicious and watermelony salad recipe coming very soon.