To my American friends, I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!! Holiday season has officially arrived 🙂
Every year this season goes by faster and faster, and every year I regret not doing––or eating––something. And so this year I’m going to have more adventures in the kitchen making traditional foods vegan. For Thanksgiving I made cornbread stuffing (I’ll share that recipe soon), and my heavenly sweet potato pie. The following day I taught a cooking class and we made vegan fried “chicken”, mac & “cheese”, and pecan pie. I also made seitan brisket to take to a party, and for a client’s Thanksgiving feast. And cherry pie too! Oh, and today I successfully veganized gingerbread cookies to take to a nutrition class I taught at a Harlem elementary school. So far so good with the kitchen fun and success.
Still, there are a few things left on my holiday cooking bucket list: seasonal cinnamon rolls, pound cake, candied yams, the BEST gravy, and gnocchi (bet you didn’t think I was going to toss that one in there).
And hey, if I can get my life together, maybe I’ll even make a video or two… No promises though guys. That video making business is way harder than it looks 🙁
Anyways, one of the goodies on my list was apple cider donuts, but I turned them into cupcakes which was a really good idea. These cupcakes are light, fluffy, and perfectly sweet. I’ve tested them on over 20 people, and all have given them the double thumbs up. The vegan icing is the bomb too!
p.s. I’ve got some upcoming NYC cooking classes! Sign up here!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, or any dark sugar like turbinado and sucanat
- ¼ cup apple cider
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- 1 tbsp oil (I used canola)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp Earth Balance or organic vegetable shortening, slightly softened
- 2 tbsp apple cider
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°, and either grease a donut pan, or line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift the dry ingredients: flour to salt (not sugar) into a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients: sugar to vanilla in another large bowl.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fill the donut pan or muffin tray evenly with batter.
- Bake for 14 minutes if donuts, and 17 minutes if cupcakes. Test doneness with a toothpick.
- While in the oven, you can make the frosting.
- Place the slightly softened Earth Balance or shortening and apple cider into a mixing bowl.
- Vigorously whisk to combine, then slowly add in the powdered sugar.
- Continue whisking until creamy and no lumps are present.
- Place in the refrigerator to keep firm until 10 minutes before icing the the donuts/cupcakes.
- Remove donuts/cupcakes from oven, and place on a cooling rack to cool completely for about 30-60 minutes.
- Once totally cool, ice with your apple cider frosting and enjoy!