Who was the first to think to blend an avocado with dates and cocoa powder?! I would have imagined it an odd combination, but my years of enjoying it for dessert, snack, and even breakfast, has continuously proven it to be a match made in culinary heaven. What more could you ask for in a chocolatey treat?! Chocolate avocado mousse/pudding is rich beyond compare, blissfully sweet, crave-inducingly creamy, surprisingly healthy, and easy to make.
Its only downside; the ingredients ain’t cheap. But hey, if I’m going to spend money, and make an investment, it’s going to be in my health, happiness, and comfort.
Run, don’t walk, to the store to buy these ingredients.
Don’t have a food processor, ooooh girl, you better get you one 😏
Chocolate Avocado Mousse + Tarts
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted & chopped
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 10 Medjool dates pitted & chopped
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
- Place avocado flesh, dates and cacao into a food processor.
- Blend until very smooth and creamy. This will take a few minutes.
- Add more dates or a little maple syrup to sweeten if necessary.
- When smooth, spoon some of the mousse into each of the tart shells (if you plan on making them. If not, enjoy as is or chilled)
- If making tarts, place the filled tarts into the refrigerator to firm for at least 30 minutes.
- In a food processor add almonds and coconut, and blend until they’re all crumbled, about 10 seconds.
- Add chopped dates and pulse to combine.
- Remove the lid and scoop out about two tablespoons of the mixture.
- With your hand form it into a ball, if it sticks together without crumbling apart then the crust is ready. If it crumbles, place it back into the processor, add a teaspoon of maple syrup or another date, and pulse again.
- Cover a muffin pan with plastic wrap.
- Scoop out a couple of tablespoons of the crust mixture, and press it down into one of the muffin cups to form a tart shell. It should be about an inch deep.
- Repeat using the remaining crust mixture.