This amazing vegan Banana French Toast is my new favorite sweet breakfast. Step aside sweet potato pancakes, buttermilk waffles, and quinoa porridge, French toast and I are having a moment!
I partnered up with Farmbox Direct to create a winning recipe using the contents of their organic produce box. If you haven’t heard, Farmbox Direct delivers farm-fresh produce directly to your door. They’re based in New York but they ship their produce in all 48 continental states. They’re giving readers of Sweet Potato Soul 20% off all orders for the month of March. Just use code SWEETPOTATO20
When I opened up my Farmbox delivery and saw that loaf of local whole wheat bread and fair-trade bananas, French toast was the first thing that popped into my head. I’d grown up eating French toast topped with bananas, berries, and other fresh fruit, but how incredible would it be to make a rich banana batter? I tried it, and it’s a game changer. I’ll never use flax seed to replace eggs in French toast again. The banana batter crisps up around the edges of the toast, and locks in the moisture and richness of the soaked bread. Top this vegan Banana French toast with maple syrup, sliced banana, and berries (from your Farmbox delivery), and you’ve got breakfast fit for a Queen! Oh, and did I mention it’s healthy too?
Subscribe on YouTube
Before we get to the video, I just wanted to shout out my Youtube channel. At the time of writing this, I’m just shy of 100,000 subscribers! I think I’ll make this Banana French toast for breakfast to celebrate 🎉 Please subscribe if you haven’t already. I often post videos and recipes there that I don’t post here on my blog—like What I Eat in a Day videos and travel vlogs (like this recent one in Costa Rica)!
Thanks to Farmbox Direct for sponsoring this video and post!
Vegan Banana French Toast
- 6 slices of stale or stale-ish sourdough or whole wheat bread
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1/2 cup soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon + more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- coconut oil for frying
- bananas strawberries, oranges, and other fruit for serving
- maple syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- In a mixing bowl mash the banana.
- Add the soy milk, coconut milk, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Once warm, pour a thin layer of coconut oil (about 2-3 tbsp) into the pan to coat the entire bottom.
- Dip each side of the bread in the batter mixture, and allow excess batter to drip off.
- Cook each side of the bread until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side.
- Repeat with the remaining slices. Oil the pan before each new slice.
- Keep toast warm in the oven while you finish cooking the other slices.
- Serve with sliced fruit and maple syrup.
Simple Green Juice
- 1 large cucumber peeled if it isn't organic
- 1 medium celery stalk
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cilantro or parsley
- large piece of ginger about 2-inches long 1-inch thick
- 1/2 green apple
- 1 kiwi
- 1 lime or lemon peeled
- Put all of the ingredients through your juicer. Enjoy immediately, or (if you have a cold-press juicer) store some in the fridge for later.
Wm. McKinney / July 19, 2021 at 8:42 am /
Absolutely scrumptious! Another homerun recipe, great work!
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / June 18, 2017 at 1:28 pm /
Love it! Thank you so much for trying, Lekan!
Vanessa Parker / May 13, 2017 at 5:31 pm /
I love your French toast recipe. If I won the farm box I will use the ingredients to make French toast and green juice because I’m tired of eating plain old cereal and milk for breakfast!
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / May 15, 2017 at 12:50 am /
Hey Vanessa!! Yay! I hope you enjoy it 🙂 xoxo
Cynthia Goosby / March 11, 2017 at 5:24 pm /
Had these this morning, and they were delicious!
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / March 21, 2017 at 11:35 pm /
Fantastic! I’m so happy to hear that 🙂
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / March 10, 2017 at 4:03 pm /
I hope you enjoy it!!
Worthy Vegan / March 10, 2017 at 4:45 pm /
They were sooo delicious!!!
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / March 21, 2017 at 11:34 pm /
Perfect!! Thanks so much for sharing 🙂