This delicious Spaghetti Squash Alfredo is one of my new favorite comfort foods. I created it along with 2 other Instant Pot vegan recipes that I shared in a recent video (below). I hope you love this Instant Pot spaghetti squash as much as I do!
How is it possible that a stringy low-carbohydrate vegetable could be so satisfying?!? If I have a choice between traditional pasta and spaghetti squash I’m going to have…both! Okay, but if I really had to choose I’d go for the spaghetti squash. The only thing about it is that it takes so long to cook. Well, it did take so long to cook until I bought an Instant Pot! With the Instant Pot spaghetti squash cooks in just 10 minutes, and you don’t have to wait for the oven to warm up. In the time that it takes your Instant Pot to pressurize and cook the squash, you can make a luscious creamy vegan Alfredo sauce. Healthy comfort food in just 30 minutes—it’s good to be alive in 2018!
…if you don’t have an Instant Pot you can still make this fabulous recipe. Keep reading!
Fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, starch, b vitamins, omega 3s—no wonder spaghetti squash is so satisfying! Unlike wheat pasta, spaghetti squash is nutrient dense. It’ll fill you up, give you energy, and help keep your body functioning beautifully.
When I’m not in the mood for creamy Alfredo I use these combinations on my Instant Pot spaghetti squash:
- tomato sauce + lentils meatballs
- curry sauce + tofu
- olive oil + salt + pepper
- puttanesca (with olives, tomatoes, & herbs)
But when I am in the mood, this creamy Alfredo sauce is incredibly easy to make, and also good for me. The sauce is made creamy by a combination of non-dairy milk and arrowroot powder (cornstarch works also). The mushrooms add lots of umami flavor, and also texture and richness. To replicate that classic Alfredo sauce flavor this recipe uses nutritional yeast (aka “nooch”), and lemon for a touch of tang.
Healthy vegan comfort food. Wow!
WATCH & SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO MAKE INSTANT POT SPAGHETTI SQUASH & OTHER RECIPES:
Check out my other Instant Pot vegan recipe here: Black Bean Coconut Stew. The recipe for the Eggplant Curry is in the description box of the video on YouTube. Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel while you’re there!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- ¼ cup white wine or veggie broth
- 2 shallots, diced
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise, then remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water, and place the steam grate at the bottom of the pot.
- Place the spaghetti squash into the Instant Pot, and tighten the lid. Make sure the release valve is sealed.
- You’ve already set the Instant Pot to 10 minutes. It will begin to cook once the pressure has built.
- Quick release once the timer goes off.
- Once cool enough to handle, use a fork to remove the spaghetti like strands.
- (If you are not using an Instant Pot you can steam the squash in a steam basket on the stove for about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you could roast the cut squash on 375° for about 45 minutes).
- Once the squash is out of the Instant Pot and cooling down, make your sauce.
- Pour the wine into a skillet, and bring it to a simmer on medium heat.
- Add the shallots, and sauté in the wine until tender.
- Add the mushrooms, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Pour the soy milk into a small bowl, and add the arrowroot powder. Stir well to break up any clumps.
- Pour it over the mushrooms, and immediately add the nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon juice, and salt.
- Stir it all together on medium-low heat as the sauce thickens. Season to taste with more lemon or salt.
- Place the squash noodles into the alfredo sauce and stir well. If it has thickened before you have a chance to add the squash, add more soy milk to thin.
- Serve with red chili flakes, black pepper, and fresh parsley.