I have 3 new breakfast recipe favorites, and they all happen to be gluten free. They’re so delicious they’ll make you want to jump right out of bed! These gluten free vegan breakfast recipes are good for you, and made with clean fiber-rich ingredients to keep you full for hours. If you’ve ever struggled with finding gluten free vegan breakfast ideas, you’ve come to the right place. All three of these recipes are a great jumping off point for exploring more breakfast options that don’t use animal products or gluten.
On most days for breakfast I will have a simple bowl of oatmeal or teff porridge topped with dates, nuts, and fresh fruit. But sometimes I want something fancier or even savory, yet still energizing. I’ve long relegated meals with processed flour and sugar to once or twice a year indulgences. A true treat for me is a breakfast that tastes amazing, looks lovely, and makes me feel really good. Processed ingredients usually leave me hungry an hour after eating, or cause uncomfortable blood-sugar swings. No thank you. I’ll take fluffy pancakes made with almond flour and banana any day.
Gluten Free Recipes
As you know, I am not gluten free, but I don’t go out of my way to consume products that contain it. Instead, I focus on eating a whole food vegan diet, and if something happens to contain gluten I prefer it in its most wholesome form: farro grains, freekeh, sourdough bread, whole spelt flour, etc. That said, I believe a gluten free vegan breakfast can be equally as delicious and filling as gluten heavy recipes. The key is to stick to whole foods as much as possible. For most people the processing might be the real problem, not the gluten.
Whether or not you have a gluten intolerance, these recipes are for you. It’s hard for me to say which one I love the best. If I’m craving a sweet breakfast I’ll take the Almond Flour Pancakes. They’re full of fiber, sweetened with coconut sugar and banana, and feature mineral rich teff flour. On a savory day I crave the Sweet Potato Breakfast Burrito. It’s filled with a smoky mix of sweet potatoes, spinach, gluten free vegan sausage, and black beans. When I’m running out of the door early, the creamy nutrient-dense Chocolate Spinach smoothie is the way to go! 🙌🏾
Almond Flour Pancakes | Gluten Free Vegan Breakfast
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup teff flour
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal + 2 tbsp water
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- oil for frying
- top with: walnuts berries, cacao nibs, maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl combine the almond flour, teff flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and coconut sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Then in another bowl combine ground flax seed meal with water to make a flax egg. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add banana to the flax mix, and mash well.
- Then pour in non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract, and stir.
- Pour the wet into the dry, and use a whisk to mix well.
- Warm and grease a skillet on medium heat, then pour in your pancake batter. Cook pancakes on each side for about 3 minutes. Be very careful flipping these, because they don’t have gluten they are more fragile.
- Complete with the remaining batter.
- Serve topped with sliced banana, blackberries, walnuts, cacao nibs, and maple syrup.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos | Gluten Free Vegan Breakfast
- 1 tbsp coconut or grapeseed oil
- 1 large shallot minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 2 vegan gluten free sausages about 1 cup
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cup
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
- 4 gluten free vegan tortillas
- Warm a skillet on medium heat, and add oil.
- Add the shallots and peppers to sauté until soft.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and a pinch of sea salt. Cover the pan and cook on medium-low heat, until the potatoes are fairly tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- In the meantime chop up your gluten free vegan sausage. It should be about the same size as the diced potato.
- Once the sweet potato is tender, add the sausage, and black beans.
- Then stir in the cumin, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Then stir in chopped spinach, and cook another 5 minutes.
- Warm up your gluten-free vegan tortillas in a skillet & fill them. Wrap it in a burrito shape, then serve hot!
Chocolate Spinach Smoothie | Gluten Free Vegan Breakfast
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter plain
- 3 cup spinach
- Place the ingredients into a blender, and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Top with cacao nibs for an extra crunch.