This simple recipes post was sponsored by my friends at Thrive Market, an online retailer of wholesome foods and natural products. I started working with Thrive Market nearly 2 years ago after becoming a fan and loyal customer. Prices are 25-50% lower than health food stores, and they deliver right to your door. I like that they give a free membership to a family in need when you purchase yours. Click here to get 25% off your next order, plus free shipping, and a free 30 day membership.
Following up on last week’s easy vegan recipe post, I’ve raised the bar by creating 3 very delicious 5 ingredient vegan recipes. I admit, creating simple recipes using just 5 ingredients is not easy. I wanted to avoid store-bought sauces and blends, but also wanted to provide variety so the recipes are not boring. I happen to know a thing or two about creating these extremely simple recipes—I wrote an e-book a few years ago that is filled with 25 awesome recipes using 5 ingredients each. Check it out!
This round up of 5 ingredient recipes includes 2 entrees (one that can be enjoyed as an appetizer), and a dessert. I cannot choose my favorite because they’re all so stellar.
Obviously the concept of using 5 ingredients for a recipe is great for those who want to save time and money. But it’s also great if you’ve got guests coming over and want to prepare a number of simple recipes that will still impress. Limiting yourself to 5 ingredients doesn’t have to mean you’ll compromise flavor or nutrition. Take for example the Sweet Potato Green Curry recipe: tender sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and collard greens cooked to perfection in a coconut green curry sauce. I mean… And the tahini cookies happen to be one of the most popular recipes on my blog, only this 5 ingredient version streamlines the original recipe, which features sweet potato and cinnamon. The collard wraps are absolutely delicious, and a great way to eat nutrient-dense collard greens raw. You can do a lot with just 5 ingredients!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do. Please let me know what you think of them, and feel free to expand on the 5 ingredient vegan concept or make substitutions. For example, beets, carrots, and broccoli can be added to the curry, or tofu can be used in place of chickpeas. Have fun & bon appétit!
Thrive Market sells a number of the wholesome products that I used for these recipes. I have linked them on the Thrive Market website.
Barbecue Tempeh Collard Wraps | 5 Ingredient Vegan Simple Recipes
- 1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 package of tempeh thinly sliced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/4 red cabbage very thinly sliced
- 6-8 large collard green leaves bottom stem removed, and rib thinly sliced (see video for clarification)
- Place the barbecue sauce and tempeh slices in a sauce pan and stir well to coat.
- Cover and simmer the tempeh in the sauce on low-medium heat for 20 minutes, or until tempeh is tender.
- Fill a collard leaf with 2-3 slices of tempeh, and about 1/4 cup each of carrots and red cabbage.
- Wrap it like a burrito, folding over the edges to make sure the filling does not come out.
- Roll tightly, then complete with the remaining filling. Serve immediately, or later.
Sweet Potato Thai Green Curry | 5 Ingredient Vegan Simple Recipes
- 1 tbsp coconut or grapeseed oil oil doesn’t count toward the 5 ingredients
- 3 tbsp Thai green curry paste buy it here
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato about 1 1/2-2 potatoes
- 1 can chickpeas drained & rinsed (1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk buy it here
- 1/2 bunch collard greens stems minced and leaves thinly sliced (keep them separate after chopping
- Warm the oil in a skillet, wok, or frying pan.
- Add the curry paste, and stir to let it fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk, collard stems, and 1 1/2 cups water. Place a lid on the pan and bring it to a simmer on low-medium heat.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the collard leaves and cook another 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt or soy sauce then serve as is or over rice or noodles.
Chocolate Tahini Cookies | 5 Ingredient Vegan Simple Recipes
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Stir together the tahini and maple syrup in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and stir well until you have a sticky batter.
- Dampen your hands and form into flattened cookie shapes, about 3 tablespoons of batter per cookie.
- Place the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, and cool before enjoying.