We all know the saying, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” I normally start my day with a bowl of oatmeal or other hearty grain and top it with yummy fresh fruits and seeds or nuts. When I have a little extra time and energy in the mornings, or when I do meal prep, I like to make this sweet potato breakfast burrito recipe. It’s hearty, nutritious, bursting with flavor, and just happens to be vegan.
Breakfast doesn’t have to be hard, but for the right nutrients and energy to start the day you should be eating more than a breakfast pastry or bar. Sometimes I get so tired of eating oatmeal or grains everyday, so I try to mix up my breakfasts with things like tofu scramble or avocado toast with wild mushrooms to top it off. But this sweet potato breakfast burrito is one of my absolute favorites! The best part is that you can prep the filling ahead of time and just heat and assemble in the morning.
What’s in this sweet potato breakfast burrito?
Breakfast burritos are so versatile; you can put almost any ingredients in them! Hash browns, vegan scrambled eggs, vegan sausage, avocado, salsa, and cheese is a great start to a simple burrito. But these ones are so special! The flavor combination is sublime; sweet potatoes, black beans, spinach, gluten-free and vegan sausage, veggies, and spices really bring flavor to the morning. You will have to pay attention to the vegan sausage ingredients if you are gluten-intolerant, but if you don’t have an intolerance, check out my homemade sausage recipe.
How to make healthy breakfast burritos
The instructions couldn’t be easier. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and sauté shallots (or yellow onion) and red bell pepper until soft. Add the sweet potatoes and a pinch of sea salt to the pan. Cover and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender. While you’re waiting for that to cook, dice up the sausage. It should be about the same size as the diced potatoes. Add the sausage and black beans when the potatoes are tender, then stir in the smoked paprika, cumin, and salt. Cook until the potatoes are completely tender, then stir in the spinach and cook until it’s wilted, about five minutes. Warm the gluten-free tortillas on the stove, fill, wrap, and fold them and serve the burritos hot!
Freezer-Friendly Meal Prep
This mixture is great to add to your weekly meal prep rotation (have you joined my newsletter yet? Free meal plans every week!) and it can be reheated on the stove or in the microwave in the mornings for fresh, non-soggy burritos. The mixture also keeps well in the freezer if you don’t eat all of it in about five days.
You can add other ingredients to this base to make it even more flavorful and filling. Add the vegan egg substitute for more protein, chili powder and garlic for even more flavor, and some vegan cheddar cheese to hold it all together.
Try these other savory breakfast recipes
Sweet Potato Breakfast Burrito
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 large shallot minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 2 vegan sausages about 1 cup chopped
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed, about 1 1/2 cup
- 2 cups spinach or other leafy green chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
- 4 soft tortillas flour or gluten-free tortillas
- Warm a skillet on medium heat, and add oil.
- Add the shallots and peppers to sauté until soft.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and a pinch of sea salt. Cover the pan and cook on medium-low heat, until the potatoes are fairly tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- In the meantime chop up your gluten free vegan sausage. It should be about the same size as the diced potato.
- Once the sweet potato is tender, add the sausage, and black beans.
- Then stir in the cumin, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Then stir in chopped spinach, and cook another 5 minutes.
- Warm up your gluten-free vegan tortillas in a skillet & fill them. Wrap it in a burrito shape, then serve hot!