These whole wheat blueberry pancakes are brought to you by Stevia In The Raw®. Stevia is a delicious zero-calorie sweetener made from the sweet leaves of the stevia plant. It can be used for baking, everyday cooking, and beverages. It’s also great in pancake recipes…
With the release of my cookbook, wedding planning, and exploring our new city of LA, life seems to be going so fast. I especially notice that I’ve been super busy when I look back and realize I haven’t been eating anything but oatmeal and avocado toast for breakfast every morning. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE those for breakfast … especially avocado toast. But there is something so rejuvenating about taking a little extra time to slow down and treat yourself to a stack of fluffy pancakes.
I grew up enjoying decadent pancakes made with bleached white flour, white sugar, and so much butter. I still love those less healthful pancakes—as long as they’re the vegan version—but I feel best when I start my morning with a more wholesome treat.
These whole wheat blueberry pancakes are sweetened with Stevia In The Raw® To reduce cane sugar consumption, I like to replace it with stevia where I can. For recipes like this one, I use Stevia In The Raw® Bakers Bag, which conveniently measures cup-for-cup with sugar. I also use fresh fruit (bananas are especially great in pancakes), sweet potato, or dates. As a tip, when baking with Stevia In The Raw®, it’s generally recommended to only replace half of the sugar to get the proper rising, browning and caramelization that only sugar can provide, but these pancakes came out great with stevia only.
I also make sure to use as little oil as possible in the batter. And I love that I didn’t have to use a flax egg (…my spice/coffee grinder has coffee residue in it, and I’ve been too lazy to clean it out and grind my flax…I know, I know, get your act together Jenné!). With or without a flax egg, the trick to making pancakes fluffy and light is 2 teaspoons of vinegar. That stuff reacts with the baking powder, and BAM!! Fluffy, light, and delicious whole wheat blueberry pancakes!!
Give these a try when you’re in need of a nourishing but fun breakfast. Top them with edible flowers, sliced banana, fresh blueberries, and maple syrup for the ultimate morning treat.
- 1¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat spelt flour
- 2 tablespoonsStevia In The Raw® Bakers Bag
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or coconut oil
- ¾-1 cup frozen blueberries
- vegan butter or coconut oil, for frying the pancakes
- maple syrup, fresh blueberries, banana, and edible flowers (optional) for serving
- Warm a large cast-iron skillet or non-stick pan on medium heat. If you think you'll take a long time to make your batter, don't do this until you are ready to mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, Stevia In The Raw®, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk well to combine.
- In another mixing bowl combine the non-dairy milk, vinegar, and oil. Whisk well.
- Pour the wet mix into the dry, and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the frozen blueberries, and make sure they're evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Melt ½ tablespoon of vegan butter or coconut oil on the skillet, and drop about ⅓ cup batter onto the skillet to make pancakes.
- Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes, or until they’re slightly golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining batter (greasing the pan each time). It should make 6-8 pancakes.
- Serve with fresh blueberries, sliced banana, maple syrup, and edible flowers!
- NOTE: to keep pancakes warm while you're finishing the batch, place them in the oven on 200°. Make sure to start preheating the oven before you make the batter so it will be warm for you.
Check out my other recipes made with Stevia In The Raw® that I shared on my Instagram feed: Citrus Cardamom Muffins and Banoffee Cookies!