Taco Tuesday, Tostada Thursday! You will want to eat these crunchy flavorful vegan tostadas at least once a week. Crispy tostadas are topped with creamy refried beans, meaty banana peel carnitas, crispy fried black beans, and crunchy lettuce. These vegan tostadas are amazing!
It all started at a bodega
I challenged myself to make a delicious meal using only ingredients I bought at my local bodega, aka convenience store. Watch the video below!
These delicious vegan tostadas totally surprised and impressed me. I picked up a can of vegan refried beans, black beans, a bag of tostadas––really yummy ones made with coconut oil––salsa, canned pineapple, limes, and bananas. I had recently created a recipe for banana peel––yes, you read that right––carnitas, and knew that would add amazing texture and flavor to the otherwise very bean heavy tostadas. The creaminess of the refried beans pairs well with the meatiness of the banana peels, and the combo of crispy air fried black beans and salsa tie it all together. Of course you don’t have to buy these ingredients at the convenience store. But whatever you do, try this recipe soon!
Watch my Vegan Tostadas Video
For my challenge I was restricted to using ingredients from the bodega, but there’s no need for you to restrict yourself. These vegan tostadas are next level when you top them with shredded romaine lettuce and cilantro. They are also amazing with guacamole, or sliced avocado––but what isn’t?
Other delicious swaps for the vegan tostadas
Canned refried beans: Easily make your own vegan refried beans at home. Sauté minced onions and garlic in oil, then add a can of pinto beans (about 2 cups), ½ tsp cumin powder, and about ¼ cup of water. Mash the beans on the stove, and season to taste with salt and pepper. I use a potato masher for extra creamy beans.
Banana peel carnitas: If you’re out of bananas (and their peels), have overripe bananas (peels won’t work for this), or just don’t want to eat banana peels, then try mushroom carnitas instead. They are actually a lot heartier, and even meatier. Jackfruit can also be used in place of banana peels for the carnitas recipe.
Crispy air fried beans: Do air fryer, no problem. Follow my recipe for the crispy beans but bake them in the oven at 400° for 20-30 minutes, until crispy. Other beans or lentils can be used in place of black beans.
- 1 recipe for banana carnitas recipe here
- 1 can black beans about 2 cups cooked beans
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 can vegan refried beans
- 1/2-1 cup tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple fresh or canned (if you're getting it from the bodega)
- 8 tostadas
- Make the banana peel carnitas
- Toss the black beans in a mixing bowl with the oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Transfer them to your air fryer and cook at 400° for 10 minutes. Or, roast the beans at 400° for 20-25 minutes, until crispy.
- Warm the refried beans in a pot on the stove.
- Combine the tomato salsa and chopped pineapple.
- Make the tostadas: layer on the refried beans, banana peel carnitas, crispy beans, and salsa.