Holiday parties galore! If you follow me on Instagram, you know how much I love hosting (and attending) holiday parties. Connecting with friends and family while sharing the holiday cheer is so heartwarming. Plus, I love designing the table setting and making my home feel welcoming. I’ll be welcoming my party guests with this luxurious Winter Sunrise cocktail!
View this post on Instagram
I’ve been on a cocktail kick recently and have made some truly delicious drinks for my upcoming cookbook. But I couldn’t wait to share this easy holiday spiced hibiscus recipe. It’s smoky, refreshing, and perfectly sweetened. This yummy Winter Sunrise cocktail will look and taste elegant for your guests, while easy enough for you to make any time you’d like!
- Ginger and nutmeg: We’re grating these fresh to add warmth and give it a little taste of the holidays.
- Orange and lemon: Fresh squeezed lemon brings a freshness to cut through the hibiscus. The orange slices round out the citrus notes while bringing in a touch of sweetness.
- Smoked cinnamon: This tip is optional but will impart a nice smoky flavor from smoking your glass with a cinnamon stick (and your whole house will smell divine).
- Bourbon whiskey: The liquor is a perfect blend with the strong brewed hibiscus.
- Glassware: I used some pretty coupe glasses I bought on Amazon but any stemmed cocktail glass will do.
If you have a shaker set it’s a lot easier but you don’t need one. A clean empty jar works just as well. Make the hibiscus tea ahead of time if you’d like as that does take the longest time and will need to cool just a bit before adding to your shaker or jar. And after you’re done smoking your glass with your cinnamon stick, you can add it (burnt side up) to your cocktail as additional garnish.
I personally think the drink is perfect and balanced with the bourbon whiskey I used but if you want a substitute, choose your favorite rum, brandy, or cognac. It can also be enjoyed as a virgin drink in your beautiful cocktail glasses as a delicious spiced tea.
Winter Sunrise Cocktail
- 1 Cocktail shaker or an empty jar
- 1/2 cup ice
- 2/3 cup strong-brewed cool hibiscus tea
- 4 oz bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 oz agave + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- dash of cinnamon
- 2 Orange slices + 2 more to serve
- Fresh grated Nutmeg to top
- Shake all of the ingredients (minus the 2 extra orange slices and nutmeg) with ice, and double strain into smoked glasses.
- Grate fresh nutmeg over each cocktail, and serve with a slice of orange.
- To smoke the glasses: light two cinnamon sticks on fire. Once the fire catches, blow it out, and place the cocktail glasses over the smoking cinnamon sticks for about 30 seconds. Immediately fill the glasses with the cocktail.