You won’t believe this decadent chocolate pecan pie is vegan! Bittersweet chocolate adds depth and richness while dark maple syrup adds hints of caramel. Eggless and free of corn syrup; every bite of this pie is buttery pecan and chocolate perfection. Vegan chocolate pecan pie is perfect for any special occasion––especially for Thanksgiving dinner and Easter Sunday. I’m always in the mood for this incredible chocolate dessert.
What to expect
Chocolate lovers rejoice! Pecan pie lovers bow down. Every bite of this pie is pure perfection:
- Exquisitely sweet
- Buttery taste of pecans toasted to perfection
- Texture on point
- Flaky pie crust
This vegan chocolate pecan pie has the texture of a classic pecan pie but without the animal products and associated extra fat and cholesterol.
How to replace eggs in pecan pie
It wasn’t easy, but after much trial and error I discovered the perfect replacement for eggs in pecan pie: sweet potato puree! It gives the pie body and balances the many nuts with its creamy texture. Unlike silken tofu, and other vegan egg alternatives, the flavor of the sweet potato blends seamlessly with the buttery flavor of the pecans and rich chocolate. It adds a sort of earthiness, and balances the sweetness from the sugar and maple syrup.
For the best result, use the flesh of a baked sweet potato. Baked sweet potatoes are richer, sweeter, and creamier than steamed. Steamed and store-bought sweet potato puree tend to have higher water content, which can make the pie filling runny, or less than perfect. Prioritize the baked sweet potato.
How to make chocolate pecan pie
Your main ingredients for this vegan chocolate pecan pie are: sweet potato, pecans, bittersweet chocolate, and maple syrup.
Step 1: Make a simple flaky vegan pie crust (recipe below). Do this step at least 1 hour before you plan to bake the pie. You can also use a store-bought vegan pie crust if you want to save time. No need to pre-cook the pie crust.
Step 2: Combine the sweet potato puree and 3 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) in a bowl and stir well, making sure there are no clumps. Arrowroot and cornstarch (which are interchangeable) are thickeners. Combined with the sweet potato they help to thicken the pie filling and hold the ingredients together.
Step 3: Melt butter and the remaining ingredients on the stove, and stir in the chocolate chips and sweet potato. Use a whisk to break up any chunks. You’ll create a creamy, dreamy, chocolatey base for the pie. Only cook it long enough for the ingredients to melt and become rich and creamy. Remove from the heat once it’s done.
Step 4: Fold the toasted pecans into the chocolate dream sauce. You can do this in the same pot (off the heat), or in a separate large bowl. Pour that mixture into the bottom of your pie crust, and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
Step 5: Bake to perfection! No need to cover the edges of the pie pan with foil to prevent burning; I’ve never had that issue. After baking for 45-50 minutes, allow the pie at least an hour to cool and set. For a thicker filling, allow the pie to cool then set it in the fridge overnight. Enjoy it cold, room temperature, or warm slices in the toaster oven––350° for 5 minutes.
How to store
Store your finished chocolate pecan pie in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can double this recipe and make multiple pecan pies to freeze for later––instructions below.
Can you freeze this chocolate pecan pie?
Yes, you can freeze this vegan Chocolate Pecan Pie. Freeze after baking and cooling. To enjoy, up to 6 months later, allow it to thaw then warm slices in a toaster oven.
Pots de Pecan
For individual servings, bake the pie in ramekins. You can do this with or without the crust. Skip the crust and serve the chocolate pecan pie like a decadent pots de pecan (riff on pots de creme), and top with vegan vanilla ice cream or vegan whipped cream. For a taste of what I mean, check out one of my other pecan pie recipes.
More Vegan Recipes for Chocolate Lovers
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Muffins
- Chocolate Orange Truffles
- Oatmilk Chocolate Mousse Tart
- Click here for even more!
Vegan Chocolate Pecan Pie
Flaky Vegan Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose white flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter cubed and chilled, I use Earth Balance sticks
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
Chocolate Pecan Pie Filling
- 1 cup sweet potato purée from a baked sweet potato
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vegan butter I use Earth Balance sticks
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup dark maple syrup
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips or baking chocolate I use this one from Guittard
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups toasted chopped pecans
Vegan Pie Crust
- Food processor method: Add the flour and salt to the food processor, along with the vegan butter. Pulse to break the clumps. Add the ice cold water, and continue to pulse until the pieces of dough are about the size of a split pea. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and form into a tight ball. Do not knead it; just shape into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- By Hand Method: In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add the vegan butter and use a pastry cutter to blend it until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the ice cold water and stir with a wood spoon to combine.Wrap your dough in plastic and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350°.
- Generously flour your work surface, and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out flat (about 1/6 inch). Gently place it over your pie dish, and press evenly to the bottom and sides.
- Combine sweet potato puree and arrowroot powder in a large mixing bowl, and set aside.
- In a sauce pan combine the vegan butter, soy milk, sugar, chocolate chips, maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt. Use a whisk to break up any clumps in the mixture as it simmers.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the sugar mixture into the bowl with the sweet potato and arrowroot, and stir well. There should be no clumps.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least an hour.