This vegan miso walnut parmesan will be your new favorite food topping. It adds delicious umami from the miso and tasty cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast and is a perfect substitute for dairy parmesan. Add this to lentil meatballs or a simple pasta dish for a flavor boost!
Make Your Own Vegan Parmesan Topping
This vegan parmesan recipe is so much healthier than overly-processed store-bought vegan cheese. It also only takes about 5 minutes to make, so it’s perfect to make on those long nights where all you want to do is boil pasta. Vegan buttered noodles and parmesan, anyone?
- Walnuts are great for snacking but they are also a wonderful addition to many recipes. I use walnuts in my vegan burrito bowl, the crust in this apple tart, in pesto, and in these veggie burgers. Walnuts have incredible health benefits, such as lowering cholesterol and lowering your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Miso is fermented soybean paste that adds umami to dishes. It’s traditionally the base for many Japanese dishes and comes in different styles. For this recipe you’ll need mellow miso, which has the most mild flavor. Other recipes of mine that call for miso are collard miso soup, orange miso glazed sweet potatoes, and sweet potato hummus. Check out the collard miso soup recipe to learn more about miso and how it’s made.
- Nutritional yeast is a vegan’s best friend. I add this to everything! “Nooch” is a deactivated yeast with a lightly cheesy flavor. It can be used as a topping on popcorn, to flavor crispy chickpeas, or as a flavor and nutritional enhancement for many other dishes.
How do I make vegan parmesan?
Put all your ingredients into your food processor and blend! That’s really it. Sprinkle over your favorite dishes for an extra umami burst and store in the fridge for up to a week. Try this parmesan on my popular lentil meatballs recipe or your own favorite dish!
Leave a comment with your favorite way to eat this yummy topping.
Miso Walnut Parmesan
- 1 food processor
- 1 cup walnuts toasted or raw
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp mellow miso
- Place the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until a chunky crumble is remaining.
- Transfer to a serving bowl to serve over your favorite dishes.