If you’ve been following Sweet Potato Soul for a while you’ll know I love salads. I eat at least one a day! Of course they’re the perfect light and cool meal for summer, but I’m really the Salad Queen for the nutrition. Raw greens are full of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that will keep you well and energized all summer. Throughout the year I switch up my salads based on what vegetables are available at the farmer’s market, and right now I’ve been loving this simple roasted beet and potato salad with crunchy romaine, bibb, and frisee lettuce and lemon vinaigrette.
Yes, I know. It’s crazy to turn on your oven to roast beets in the dead of summer. Luckily I’ve got a toaster oven that doesn’t warm up the house. And since I’m breastfeeding, I find that roasted beets and potatoes make my salad feel extra nourishing and substantial. But if I had an outdoor grill, I would totally use that!
This salad is simple, and for that reason I wanted to share the recipe. All of the ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or farmer’s market, and you can whip it up easily any day of the week, and any time of day. Always keep roasted (or grilled) beets and potatoes, and cooked beans, in the fridge so you don’t have to worry about preparing these ingredients when you whip up this salad. I don’t usually add grains to my summer salads, but if you’d like to bulk it up I’d recommend adding cooked & cooled farro, quinoa, wheat berries, or sourdough croutons. Also feel free to swap out the beans for another kind of bean, or lentils. If you need more guidance on making the perfect salad, check out my How to Make Salad Amazing blog post.
Roasted Beet & Potato Salad
- 2 medium-large beets peeled & cubed
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes cubed
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 small heads of lettuce I used romaine, frisee, and bibb, chopped
- 2 cups cooked white beans or 1 14-oz can, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas
- 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Toss the cubed potatoes and beets with the oil, then spread them evenly onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle the oregano, salt, and pepper over them.
- Roast for 35 minutes.
- Place the lettuce into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the roasted vegetables (as much as you'd like to add), and beans.
- Drizzle on about half of the dressing and toss well.
- Season to taste with more dressing and salt.
- Garnish with pepitas before serving
- Place ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Or place ingredients into a jar with a lid, and shake until creamy.