You can’t go wrong with vegan enchiladas. Especially when they’re topped with a creamy cheese sauce made with sweet potato, and filled with homemade pinto beans, kale, and smokey chipotle peppers. Need some comfort food? Make these vegan chipotle sweet potato enchiladas. Need something for the whole family? Make these enchiladas. No matter the situation, this recipe will provide delicious satisfaction!
To make these chipotle enchiladas, I partnered with La Morena Mexican Foods. They make the tastiest chipotle peppers. I’ve been buying them for years!! Grab the recipe below, and let me know how you like them 🙂 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are a little smoky and a little spicy. They pair so nicely with sweet potatoes, bringing the perfect balance between savory and sweet. That’s why these enchiladas are such a hit!
If you’re looking for a different enchilada recipe, try these make-ahead breakfast enchiladas! They reheat easily and are great to meal prep for the week ahead.
Vegan Chipotle Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1-15 oz can of corn drained
- 2 cups pinto beans homemade or canned
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 chipotle peppers chopped (do not rinse or remove the sauce)
- 3 cups kale finely chopped
Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy milk I use organic soy
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil canola oil, or Earth Balance
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 sweet potato steamed & peeled
- 12 corn tortillas warmed to soften
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the skillet, and sauté until tender.
- Add the cumin and chili powder, and stir well to toast the spices for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the corn and pinto beans, followed by the tomato paste and chipotle peppers. Stir well.
- Add the chopped kale, and stir well. Cook until the kale is tender.
- Mix the arrowroot in a small bowl with ⅓ cup of the milk. Make sure to get out the clumps. Set aside.
- In a sauce pot, warm oil or melt Earth Balance on medium heat.
- Add in the remaining soy milk along with the mustard, onion & garlic powder, vinegar, nutritional yeast, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in the arrowroot soy milk mixture, and continue to whisk to combine; over medium-low heat.
- Continue to whisk to combine the ingredients and thicken the sauce (will take a couple of minutes to thicken up).
- Transfer the sauce to a blender, then add the steamed sweet potato.
- Blend until smooth. If you love spiciness, throw a teaspoon of the chipotle adobo sauce in there 🙂
- Preheat the oven to 375°, and oil a medium sized baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- Fill the tortillas with the enchilada filling (about heaping 1/2 cup), roll, and place in the baking dish.
- Cover the enchiladas with the creamy sweet potato cheese sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with cilantro, and serve!
FTC: **This blog has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Like these vegan chipotle sweet potato enchiladas? Leave a comment below and tell me your favorite way to prepare enchiladas.
ruth andrews / September 16, 2018 at 1:06 am /
today is my day 3 of being vegan. I made this tonight and I must say it was very good and very spicy (I love spicy)
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / September 19, 2018 at 9:43 pm /
Rae / August 12, 2018 at 9:14 pm /
Any other suggestion aside from corn? Our families strays away from all corn products.
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / August 16, 2018 at 1:57 am /
Hi Rae! Sure, you could just skip it altogether. Or sub with another whole grain like bulgar.
Celeste Picou / January 11, 2018 at 4:55 pm /
1/11/18.I just made Oatbran sweet potato muffins. I don’t like dates I use cranberry.. Excellent!!!!
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / January 16, 2018 at 1:09 am /
Nice! I’m so happy you liked them 🙂
Rebekkah Yisrael / August 20, 2016 at 11:11 pm /
Just made these for dinner- total hit! So delicious!!! Thanks for sharing! <3
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / August 31, 2016 at 12:31 am /
Awesome! That’s great to hear 🙂
ModVegan / May 24, 2016 at 7:27 pm /
They look amazing! I loved your video. I really like your approach to vegan cooking. I’m all about comfort food. And I like that you have some easier recipes (I am seriously lazy). I found your blog through Lighter. I’ll be following you there as well!
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul / May 30, 2016 at 2:49 am /
Thank you so much!! Yay for Lighter sending you my way 🙂 xo