A creamy and rich sweet potato bisque made with white beans instead of heavy cream. Full of flavor and nutrition. Top it with seasoned air fried white beans for a gourmet treat.
PIN this recipe to save it for later!
As I write this, I’m sitting in the window of my mother’s house looking out at the beautiful autumn leaves and decorations. There’s nothing like the beautiful colors of the holiday season to inspire my cool weather menu. As the temperature continues to drop and the holidays quickly approach, I find myself craving creamy soups that warm me to the core. Butternut, beet, and cauliflower soups are high on my list of favorites, but this sweet potato bisque is at the top.
How to make vegan bisque
To make this sweet potato bisque without dairy I like to rely on the natural creaminess of white beans. The white beans not only lend a perfect creamy texture, they add body––fiber and protein––to the soup. Topped with crispy white beans, this sweet potato bisque is complete! The white beans are tossed with fresh rosemary, smoked paprika, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, so they’re not only crunchy, they’re full of flavor. Serve with a salad and maybe a vegan grilled cheese sandwich for the perfect cool weather meal.
I love how the sweet potato bisque looks served in this mini gold cookware (got it from ALDI). You can even keep it warm in the oven before serving. Convenient and cute. I like that. Finish the soup off with a light drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, the same we used for the crispy white beans. An herb infused one is especially nice.
Make this soup as soon as you can! The ingredients are so simple, so you probably have them on hand. I made it for my whole family (Baby J included), and it was a huge hit. Recipe below…
Looks good, right? Click here to PIN this recipe for later.
Check out these other fall/winter recipes:
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls
- Winter Kale Salad
- Oat Bran Sweet Potato Muffins
Sweet Potato Bisque with Crispy White Beans
Sweet Potato Bisque
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes cubed
- 2 cups cannellini beans or one 14-oz can
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon base or 1 bouillon cube or 3 cups vegetable broth skip water if using broth
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
Crispy White Beans
- 1 14- oz can cannellini or navy beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed pot on medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and onion and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the sweet potatoes and beans, followed by the water and bouillon paste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the black pepper and cayenne.
- If you have an immersion blender use it to puree the soup until silky smooth. If you do not have one, allow it to cool until you can transfer it to a blender to blend.
- Serve the bisque garnished with the crispy white beans and roasted sweet potatoes (optional).
- Preheat oven to 425°, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Skip this if you plan to use an air fryer.
- Place beans in a bowl, or directly onto the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the oil over the beans and toss.
- Then sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the beans and toss well to coat.
- Spread them evenly onto the baking sheet or into the air fryer, and roast for about 20 minutes, or until crispy. If using the air fryer, fry at 375° for 15 minutes.
Mica / November 23, 2022 at 6:42 pm /
This is SOOO delicious! Initially I was afraid it would taste too sweet potatoey (silly of me, I know) but it’s perfection. I added 2 tsp of salt to the soup and I’m in love. Thank you for this creation to share with the family for Thanksgiving <3
Christina / March 26, 2022 at 7:28 pm /
Made this for dinner tonight and it was so good! The crispy beans were so tasty I had trouble not eating them all while the soup was cooking.
Laia / January 12, 2022 at 3:16 pm /
I made the Sweet Potato Bisque soup with crispy beans and it is delicious. I have really enjoyed this. The recipe is simple, the taste is great, and the meal is hearty. This is a go-to blog that I frequently visit as I continue my vegan journey.
Sara M / December 16, 2021 at 7:13 pm /
Yuuuuuu-UM! Made this today, eating it right now, and loving it! Especially like the fiery kick from the cayenne and the crunch contrast with the roasted beans. So pantry-friendly, warm and comfy. Thank you!
Saah / December 13, 2021 at 11:30 am /
Is there an instapot version of this?
Jametta / November 20, 2021 at 8:26 pm /
Thank you so much for the recipe! I made it for dinner tonight. It’s definitely giving sweet, savory, delicious and absolutely perfect for the holiday season! You can check out my version of this simply wonderful recipe on my Instagram page @jayes_way.
She G / November 15, 2021 at 11:48 am /
I noticed in your video you used red onion, but the recipe calls for yellow onion. How do they differ in the final flavor of the soup? Thank you. Sue
LT / November 13, 2021 at 11:34 am /
Ooo definitely making this for thanksgiving. The crispy white beans sound great
Julia / October 29, 2021 at 8:19 pm /
Love this post and recipe. First of all, if you’re plant based or wanting to be more plant based, I can’t think of a better, more budget-friendly place to shop than Aldi. I love it. You can’t even find a single-use grocery bag there, and the prices are super affordable. But anyway about the recipe… very, very good! At first i was pretty skeptical about a soup that doesn’t contain salt, but it was delicious. The white beans were awesome as well. I served with a hot load of french bread the meal was a hit. Highly recommend this one!! Thanks Sweet Potato Soul.
Suzanne / October 12, 2021 at 3:53 am /
This soup is divine! I served it last night to my non-vegan boyfriend and he loved it even without the crispy beans on top. This is definitely something I’ll be making all winter. Thank you!
Dawn Evanoff / October 2, 2021 at 6:30 pm /
Yum! It comes together quickly and tastes wonderful.
Anne / October 2, 2021 at 1:44 pm /
Super easy and tasty soup!!
Fran / September 28, 2021 at 5:32 pm /
Really great recipe – used small navy beans that crisped up perfected as the topping- used half the cayenne which was perfect.
Very thick- which depends on how big your potatoes are .
Will definitely make again. Thank you